If you change your phone number, you may be concerned about losing past talks. But don’t worry. If you follow these simple steps, you can change your WhatsApp number without losing your chats.
We may need to change our contact number for various reasons, including losing your last Number, transitioning to a new service provider, or relocating to a foreign nation. While changing your phone number has no effect on most apps on your smartphone, changing it on WhatsApp is a little more challenging. Previously, changing your phone number meant losing all of your WhatsApp data and chats.
WhatsApp launched a new function called Change Number in 2017, which allows you to convert your existing chats to your new WhatsApp number effortlessly.
. Before setting up WhatsApp numbers without deleting chats, ensure that the new Number can receive SMS or phone calls and has an active cellular connection.
How to Change WhatsApp Number Without Losing Old Chats
- Go to the Settings menu in WhatsApp.
- For Android users, the settings menu is accessible in the upper-right area of the screen. On iOS, it is at the bottom of the screen.
- Go to Account, then Change Number. You’ll notice that “changing your phone number will transfer your account information, groups, and settings.”
- Next, press the ‘Next’ button. You will now be asked to enter your old and new phone numbers.
- After you’ve entered your numbers, click the ‘Next’ button. If you wish your contacts to be advised of your new phone number, you will be asked.
- You can choose from three options: All contacts, Contacts I’m speaking with, or custom numbers. WhatsApp will notify the groups of the number change automatically. To complete, click the ‘Done’ button.
Following that, WhatsApp will ask you to register your new phone number. You will receive a six-digit number via SMS or phone call to complete the registration process. When the process is finished, you will be able to view and access your previous chats in their original format.
However, if you’re changing your phone and your Number, you’ll need to back up your chats on Google Drive or iCloud, depending on your previous phone. You’ll need to restore that backup on your new phone to get your conversations back.